Recently, I received a fortune from a local restaurant that forced me to ponder. The fortune reads “be alert for new opportunities in business and pleasure.” Here are my experiences that relate to this loaded little fortune.
Example One: Pleasure
A friend of mine had purchased a membership to LA Fitness and talked me into going with him until a free trial he had given me was over. I had never once been to the gym or even cared to get into shape, but when the opportunity arrived I thought about it and eventually accepted, telling him I would commit to going frequently. Since this opportunity, I have been to the gym for multiple times every week, and I have even purchased a gym membership. I consider going to the gym an opportunity of pleasure, because of how great you feel about yourself after a good workout. The opportunity presented itself, and I was a yes man.
Example Two: Business
In the business aspect, I have very recently taken an opportunity to better my roll for the company I work for. I am a copywriter for a website and write descriptions for a variety of products. The company has recognized my work ethic and has given me the opportunity to get more involved with projects that require a good amount of responsibility. I am now moving away from many monotonous tasks I used to do, and now am in a roll that allows me to plan out my whole work week being micromanaged. Similar to the gym membership, an opportunity presented itself and I was smart enough to realize that the new rolls being offered were not only beneficial to the company, but to myself as well.
Keep Your Eyes Open
Looking at the fortune, I believe the main focus is in being alert and aware of the things that are offered to me. You should never feel stuck where you’re at and you should always keep your eyes open for other chances to improve yourself or your lifestyle. Keep your eyes peeled for chances to improve yourself and never overlook a circumstance that could potentially be favorable to you.
When I have absolutely nothing to do, I like to run a list of options through my head and pick out the best choice. I know you may feel like it’s the end of the world because of how lonely and boring you feel, but bro… there’s plenty of things to do. Make your own list of stuff to do. Be real and actually revisit it when you’re feeling low or have nothing to do. Here’s a few out of my list.
- Play Poker - Sounds weird, right? Hell no! A group of four and your set; get ready for the game of your life. Grab a deck of cards and figure out a good poker game to play. It may seem like a challenge at first, but learning the sport of poker is half the fun.
- Drink – What more is there to say? Grab yourself a couple of allies and enjoy a couple of cocktails or brews. Drinking takes the edge off and helps you open up as a person. You’ll be more social and make more friends, just like in the movies.
- Computer Time – Love binging on excessive amounts of information? Whip out your inner nerd and spend a few hours on your computer. Games, music, Wikipedia? I don’t care, just spend some time. You’ll feel great about yourself no matter what your spending your time doing.
- Mobbing – No, I don’t mean threatening people for money. I’m talking about cruising the streets with your closest friends. Get in the car, fill up every seat with a body and go drive somewhere. My friends and I have spent days worth of time aimlessly driving and enjoying the scenery and each other’s company. Think of it as your new stress outlet.
- Do a Lil’ Research – Nobody loves an idiot, so why not learn something new and have some fun at the same time. I am a huge fan of how-to articles, personal development blogs, and occasionally the sappy biography of a formerly great and now dead celebrity. Now I know what you’re thinking: “What’s the reward?” Well, Tom, maybe you can use all of this new info to strike up a conversation with someone super special.
What a great list of things to do! Gather up a friend or two and let them in on the festivities. Show them you aren’t a boring person. Clear your mind of thoughts of boredom and find yourself something fun to do. Quit being that guy (or gal). There’s plenty of things to do, you just need to open your eyes and sing. Or just blog like me. End!