You’re interested in upgrading the factory stereo in your car to something that sounds better. The problem is, you don’t know how to install it! It’s actually a lot simpler than you may think. With a few tools and an hour or two of your time, you will have a new car receiver in your dash in no time.
1. Out With the Old
Let’s begin by disconnecting the negative ground wire from your battery to eliminate the chance of a short circuit during the installation. Depending on your car or truck, you may need to remove a trim piece or two that surrounds the stereo using a panel removal tool; I suggest you research the best way to do so for your vehicle. If your factory receiver has small holes on the left and right sides, you will use stereo removal keys to unlatch the stereo from its chassis and pull the receiver out. If your factory stereo does not utilize these removal keys, you may gently angle a flat head screwdriver behind the deck and force it in an outward direction. Disconnect any harnesses or plugs on the back of the unit.
2. Wire It Up
This is the fun part. You will need the stereo wiring harness that came with your receiver, along with a vehicle wiring harness that is compatible with your car or truck. Each wire is color coordinated and has a purpose. Find wires of the same color on each harness and use a wire stripper to remove an eighth inch of wire insulation from the end. Use a butt connector to connect the two wires together and crimp each end tightly. Proceed with each wire on the harnesses, then use either electrical tape or zip ties to bundle the wires together to strengthen the connections.
3. In With the New
Now that your harness is all set to go, it’s time to hook everything up. Find the male plug that was originally connected to your old stereo and plug it into the female end of your new harness. Use the remaining available side of the harness to plug into the new receiver. If you did everything correctly it should power right up! If everything is in working order use a dash kit to fit the new stereo and secure it into the stereo housing. The dash kit should come with instructions on how to do so.
Give It a Shot
You can find most of the tools and connectors you need at your local hardware store, and vehicle specific dash kits and wiring harnesses are available at very reasonable prices online or through popular audio stores. It’s really quite simple to get a new stereo in your car, you just need to clear up a day and dedicate some time to the project. If you’ve enjoyed this guide and found it helpful, or if you have some tips of your own, please leave us a comment. We would love to hear from you.
When I have absolutely nothing to do, I like to run a list of options through my head and pick out the best choice. I know you may feel like it’s the end of the world because of how lonely and boring you feel, but bro… there’s plenty of things to do. Make your own list of stuff to do. Be real and actually revisit it when you’re feeling low or have nothing to do. Here’s a few out of my list.
- Play Poker - Sounds weird, right? Hell no! A group of four and your set; get ready for the game of your life. Grab a deck of cards and figure out a good poker game to play. It may seem like a challenge at first, but learning the sport of poker is half the fun.
- Drink – What more is there to say? Grab yourself a couple of allies and enjoy a couple of cocktails or brews. Drinking takes the edge off and helps you open up as a person. You’ll be more social and make more friends, just like in the movies.
- Computer Time – Love binging on excessive amounts of information? Whip out your inner nerd and spend a few hours on your computer. Games, music, Wikipedia? I don’t care, just spend some time. You’ll feel great about yourself no matter what your spending your time doing.
- Mobbing – No, I don’t mean threatening people for money. I’m talking about cruising the streets with your closest friends. Get in the car, fill up every seat with a body and go drive somewhere. My friends and I have spent days worth of time aimlessly driving and enjoying the scenery and each other’s company. Think of it as your new stress outlet.
- Do a Lil’ Research – Nobody loves an idiot, so why not learn something new and have some fun at the same time. I am a huge fan of how-to articles, personal development blogs, and occasionally the sappy biography of a formerly great and now dead celebrity. Now I know what you’re thinking: “What’s the reward?” Well, Tom, maybe you can use all of this new info to strike up a conversation with someone super special.
What a great list of things to do! Gather up a friend or two and let them in on the festivities. Show them you aren’t a boring person. Clear your mind of thoughts of boredom and find yourself something fun to do. Quit being that guy (or gal). There’s plenty of things to do, you just need to open your eyes and sing. Or just blog like me. End!
It’s freaking crazy to think about one day starting up a business. There can be a lot of risk, and there is usually tons of fear associated with thoughts of actually getting up and doing it. There are thousands of reasons to start a business, but I like to focus on the important reason. Everyone has their own reasons why they someday hope to venture fourth into a profit churning adventure, and here’s my reason.
Time Is Money
How crappy is the idea that so many people willingly trade their own time for a set amount of money? I hate the idea that each hour is valued at a certain dollar amount. No matter how hard a person works during their work shift, the money they make for that day will not change. Owning your own business eliminates the cap that employers put on your wages. If you can get a project up and going and commit yourself to working at it and dedicating time, there is not a being on this planet that can put a roof over your business and finance goals.
Freedom of Time
There are 168 hours each week, and they are all yours. Make your own schedule. Plan out each week with set blocks of time dedicated to your small business or project. Working a 9-5 job will take hours and hours from your life that you will regret wasting. Owning your own business will give you the flexibility to plan the rest of your life and do what matters to you.
Your Time is Valuable
See a pattern here? Start working toward your ideal career with you as your own boss, and your life will quickly change. With your own ability to plan out every hour of every day, you will successfully have more free time then you’ve ever had before. Don’t let employers continue to tell you what you’re worth. Start slow, make something happen, and take control of the time that is given to you.